This project is a joint initiative between Perth NRM, Wheatbelt NRM and the Swan River Trust to assist landholders and community groups to implement on-ground activities that will improve soil health and contribute to improved water quality in the Swan-Avon river system.
It is funded by the Australian Government National Landcare Programme and Western Australian Government through Swan River Trust.
The project targets the Swan Avon Sub-Catchments of: Brockman, Dale, Lower Avon, Middle Avon, Mortlock North, Mortlock East, Upper Avon and Wooroloo. These areas have been identified as having the biggest impact on the water quality of the Swan River.
Types of projects
Projects fit into these categories:
- Broad Acre Cropping/Grazing Soil Nutrient Management
- Irrigated Agriculture Nutrient Management Advisory Services
- Baseline & follow-up soil nutrient testing
- Increased understanding & application of soil testing results
- Adoption of soil & nutrient management practices
- Fencing & revegetation of waterways.
Initiatives that involve multiple farm entities are encouraged.
Project site maps can be created using the Healthy Soils, Healthy Rivers Application Map Maker or Google Earth.