Your privacy is very important to us. We respect and value our members, volunteers, sponsors, donors, supporters and other stakeholders who work with us to protect and enhance Perth’s natural environment. To ensure your privacy is protected, we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
1) What information do we collect about you?
We collect personal information about donors, volunteers, members, employees, contractors and attendees to our events. The type of personal information we may collect includes your name, contact details (address, phone numbers, email, etc.), donation history, credit card and/or bank account details. We may also collect sensitive information about you relating to your ability to provide services to us as a volunteer or employee, including your criminal record history and tax file number.
2) How do we collect information about you?
We collect most of your personal information directly from you, including via email, via telephone, via our website, when you attend one of our events, when applying, enquiring, or registering for opportunities with us, and when you otherwise interact with us. We may also collect your personal information from third parties such as other charities, list suppliers and others. We may collect personal information from publicly available sources (e.g. internet, social media). For volunteers and employees, we may also collect information from your nominated referees, and through criminal history and working with children checks.
3) Why do we need your personal information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information:
- to provide our services to you and enable you to participate in our programs;
- to enable us to communicate with you about the services we are providing you or the program you are participating in;
- to inform you about our services and/or programs which we think you may be interested in;
- to process your donation, provide receipts and communicate with you about your donation;
- to assess your application and determine suitability for employment;
- to improve our services and programs; and
- to comply with our legal obligations.
4) To whom do we disclose personal information?
Unless you ask us not to, we may publicly acknowledge you as a donor. We may disclose your personal information to third parties who assist us in processing our donations. We may also disclose personal information to third parties supplying our services and programs (including government agencies), or who perform functions on our behalf such as recruitment agencies, or to other third parties where required by law. We do not currently disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
From time to time, we may compile statistical data from the personal information we have collected. In these instances, the data will be aggregated and de-identified before it is disclosed to third parties.
We do not rent or sell your information.
It is your right to be dealt with anonymously, provided that is it lawful and practicable. If you donate to Perth NRM, you will have the opportunity to keep your personal information private by electing to make your donation anonymously. We will try to accommodate a request for anonymity wherever possible; however, we note that in some circumstances, this may prevent us from practically and effectively communicating with you. For instance, we can collect anonymous donations; however, we will not be able to provide you with a tax receipt. If this is the case, we will notify you.
6) How do we store and secure your personal information?
We hold personal information in electronic and hard copy files. We may also store personal information in the ‘cloud’ which may mean that it resides on servers which are situated outside Australia.
We take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. These steps include:
- IT systems are protected and comply with applicable security standards;
- Only authorised personnel are permitted to access personal data;
- Credit card information is never stored on our servers;
- Paper records are securely stored in locked files; and
- Our website has the appropriate SSL certificate for secure data.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that when the information is no longer needed, it is destroyed or permanently rendered anonymous.
7) How to access or correct your personal information.
You may at any time request access to, or correction of, the personal information we hold about you by contacting our CEO using the contact details below. We will seek to respond to your request as soon as practicable.
8) How to ‘Opt Out’
If you don’t want to hear from us anymore, then you can opt out from receiving communications. Each email we send has an ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom. If you’ve heard from us in another way (via a letter or phone call, for example) you can opt out by contacting our CEO using the contact details below.
10) How to make a complaint about a breach of privacy.
If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of any privacy laws by Perth NRM, please contact our CEO using the details below. We may request that you make your complaint in writing. We will investigate any complaint and will notify you of our decision in relation to your complaint as soon as is practicable after it has been made (usually within 30 days). You may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (visit oaic.gov.au for further information).
11) Contacting our CEO
P.O. Box 59, Belmont WA 6984
Version date: 12/09/18
By using this website and/or providing information to us, you accept and agree to the collection and use of your personal data for the purposes described.